Nioxin has been around for a long time, creating great products for people with thinning hair. Their serums, shampoos, conditioners, treatments, and other products all work together to create a great environment in your scalp to make sure your thinning hair doesn’t get any thinner. It can even help to regrow your hair! So I decided to try one of these products for my thinning hair. I picked System 5: here is my review.
Table of Contents
Top Features of Nioxin System 5
Nioxin is backed by decades of research. If you are looking for a company with a lot of scientific research behind their products, look no further. Nioxin has been around since 1987 and has been proven to help most people keep their hair, and a good portion of them end up even regrowing some of the lost hair.
Another feature about the System kits that I love is the variety of hair types the systems are designed for. Some are meant for normal, natural hair. Others are designed for chemically treated hair that is fine. There is a kit out there for just your hair type!
System 5 is one of six kits designed to work together to help regrow your hair. The kit consists of a shampoo, condition, and a scalp treatment. Using all three will help to make your scalp healthy, regrow hair, and make your current hair as healthy as possible. Neat, huh?
My First Impressions
My first impression of the bottles was kind of bleh. The bottles are a plain white with black text. There’s nothing special looking about them. If I’d seen them in the grocery store, I probably would have passed by them for something more colorful with a scent name like “coconut dreams” or something like that.
Despite the plain packaging, the shampoo, conditioner, and scalp treatment all smell and feel pretty good. I put a small amount of each on my wrist to make sure I wouldn’t have an allergic reaction. I read they were rare but wanted to be sure before pouring the stuff all over my scalp.
Another thing that struck me is the scent. It’s a very, very minty smell. I kind of like it, but it can be overwhelming in small spaces. Now my whole house smells like super mint, which I have to say I don’t mind in the least.
Who is System 5 Designed for?
System 5, unlike most of the other five kits, is designed for people with medium to coarse hair. Most of the other kits are for fine hair, but not 5! It is meant for people who have just a little bit of hair loss, or are concerned they might start losing it in the near future. System 5 can be used with both natural and chemically treated hair, like colored, straightened, or permed hair.
How to Use System 5
All three parts of the System 5 triangle are designed for daily use. I don’t wash my hair every day, so I just use the conditioner and scalp treatment on my non-wash days. First, wash your hair like normal with the shampoo, making sure to keep it out of your eyes. It stings like you wouldn’t believe! Then, once the shampoo’s all rinsed out, apply the conditioner and let sit for 1-3 minutes. After that, finish your shower and apply the scalp treatment before brushing your hair. Rub the scalp treatment all over your scalp, then brush it through your hair. Then you style like normal and you are done.
What makes System 5 Unique?
System 5 uses three unique technologies to give you the most out of your hair.
- Transactive Delivery System: Utilizes botanicals, vitamins, cleansers, and antioxidants to clear away and gross stuff clogging your pores. Clogged pores means that your hair can’t grow as healthy as possible. Who doesn’t want a super healthy scalp?
- Smoothplex: Protects the balance of moisture in your hair and protect every strand. This technology uses silk amino acids, kukui nut oil, and protective conditioning agents to help reduce hair loss and help you keep what you have healthy and happy.
- Glyco-Shield: Protects chemically treated hair. A mix of white tea extract, humectants, peppermint oil, and protective conditioning agents that make your hair healthy and happy no matter what you’ve gotten done to it at the salon.
Pros of the Nioxin System 5
- Nioxin System 5 is proven to help make your hair regrow and protect the hair you have. I say that’s a pretty big pro.
- This kit is super easy to use and straightforward. I don’t think the instructions could be any easier.
- Nioxin backs up all their products with four decades of research and results. That’s good news for anyone hoping for an easy and effective solution to their thinning hair problems.
Cons of the Nioxin System 5
Nioxin takes a long time to work. Using it for a few weeks, I noticed a definite difference in my hair, but for the full effect, you need to use it for months and month. Good things are worth the wait, though.
Oddly enough, when you purchase the complete kit, there is twice as much shampoo as there is conditioner. For someone who doesn’t wash their hair every day, I wish it had been reversed. A twice as big conditioner would have made more sense to me. However, I just purchased a big bottle of just the conditioner along with my kit, so I should be just fine.
I love the way Nioxin makes my hair feel. It really works, helping to regrow hair and makes your scalp as healthy as possible. I really love the kit, and I will continue to use it. My hair has never felt better. I’m really glad I tried the Nioxin System 5.